Emergency Evacuation Plan
2018 Bell Buckle Emergency Management Plan
Letter of Promulgation
The following plan for reaction to a hazardous materials emergency in Bell Buckle is the product of the work by officials from the Town of Bell Buckle, Bedford County Emergency Management Agency, and Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.
This plan also has been considered and approved as the official plan of the Town by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen on May 8, 2018
The purpose of the plan is to safeguard lives in the event of a chemical hazard from a railroad derailment or truck accident.
After due consideration of materials provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency, it is the decision of the Mayor and Board that this plan offers the best assurance that Bell Buckle will be able to minimize losses in the event of a chemical hazard.
The plan includes as a central component evacuation of all Town residents in the event that designated emergency personnel, using established evaluation criteria, determine that there is a threat which warrants such action.
There is a basic assumption involved in this plan required by the fact that many homes are close to the railroad line and that state highways intersecting Bell Buckle are used frequently by trucking firms that sometimes carry hazardous materials. That basic assumption is that in the event of an accident or derailment, a swift evaluation using established criteria designed to err on the side of safety is the prudent course of action; and that evacuation is preferable to inaction that may jeopardize the lives of hundreds of people. The plan criteria call for an evacuation order by authorities whenever a threat to lives from hazardous materials may reasonably be thought to exist.
The inconvenience and possible risks associated with evacuation will be justified by the lives possibly saved by immediate action if we experience a major dangerous hazardous materials incident.
Promulgated as the official plan for reaction to a hazardous materials emergency by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen this _____8_______ day of ____May_________ 2018 at Bell Buckle, Tennessee.
Jenny W. Hunt, Mayor
SUMMARY OF THE BELL BUCKLE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT PLAN
1. In the event of a hazardous materials accident in the Bell Buckle area, designated personnel, following the stated chain of command, will use a checklist and the Emergency Response Guidebook to decide whether or not to order an evacuation of the Town.
2. If the decision is made to evacuate, the Bedford County Communications Center (911) will be notified. The Bedford County Communications/E911 will alert CodeRED users to evacuate. Those living in the Bell Buckle area will be sent CodeRED sign up information for both landlines and cell phones.
A. The Town of Bell Buckle will announce the evacuation on a Bell Buckle Facebook page set up for the sole purpose of emergency announcements. This page will also display evacuation routes.
B. The Town of Bell Buckle will announce the evacuation on a Bell Buckle Twitter account set up for the sole purpose of emergency announcements.
3. An emergency shelter will be open at Fairhaven Baptist Church in Shelbyville.
A. Traffic barriers will be set up on the roads into town and the accident scene will be sealed off by emergency personnelBedford County EMA will work with the Town of Bell Buckle to secure grant funding for the purchase of barricades.
4. During an evacuation period and until “All Clear” is announced, official news bulletins will be broadcast over radio station WLIJ 1580 AM.
a. Updates will be announced on the Town of Bell Buckle Facebook page
b. Updates will be announced on the Town of Bell Buckle Twitter feed.
5. When the emergency is over, the “All Clear” will be announced over WLIJ 1580 AM.
a. CodeRed will also send out the “All Clear”
b. The “All Clear” will be announced on the Town of Bell Buckle Facebook page
c. The “All Clear” will be announced on the Town of Bell Buckle Twitter feed.
6. The person in command shall designate a Public Information Officer for the Town of Bell Buckle. This person will contact the radio station and the Town of Bell Buckle webmaster at least hourly with current, accurate information and to answer all questions from accredited news media representatives.
7. The Bell Buckle Town Clerk will send out annually updated information to area residents regarding emergency evacuation procedures and will make an annual report (See pg. 4) to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
8. All Persons Authorized to Order an Evacuation under this Plan (See P. 4) shall be promptly trained in its proper use upon becoming so authorized.
PERSONS AUTHORIZED TO ORDER AN EVACUATION UNDER THIS PLAN
- Vice Mayor
- Town Clerk
- Members of the Bell Buckle Volunteer Fire Department
- Members of the Bell Buckle Police Department
- Bedford County Emergency Management Director
MAYOR MUST BE LISTED FIRST BY STATE LAW FOR A MUNICIPALITY
SCOTT TO SEND INFORMATION ON DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY TO DECLARE A STATE OF EMERGENCY
CHAIN OF COMMAND
In the event of a potential evacuation of the Town of Bell Buckle under this Plan, the following chain of command shall be observed. Whenever a person listed higher on the chain of command arrives at the scene of the incident, that person shall be briefed by the person then in command and shall then assume command.
- Bell Buckle Fire Department Incident Commander
- Bell Buckle Police Department
- Vice Mayor
- Town Clerk
SCOTT AND BRETT TO EXPLORE HAVING A POLICY BETWEEN BELL BUCKLE AND BEDFORD COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR THIS PURPOSE